Old 22-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"J Jackson" wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:

: No, ordinary Sarsons malt vinegar is what we use straight from the
plastic
: container.
: Please don't tell me it doesn't work 'cause it does.

I wouldn't do that, though there are cheap vinegars out there that I doubt
would work well, and choosing a reputable brand is often sensible...

: It's what/how we always pickle our shallots.

....I just knew they did a "pickling" vinegar.

Yes they do and a friend uses it. It looks like a spirit vinegar, it's
clear, and is pre-spiced ???

You can get both brewed and 'spirit' pickling vinegar. You used to be
able to get it either pre-spiced or unpolluted - er, sorry -
unflavoured, too, but I haven't bought any for a couple of years or
three.

We prefer the "old fashioned" flavour of malt vinegar and proper whole
spices (with an added red chilli for us but not for jars done for friends)

My chillis are taking an age to begin ripening this year. Even the ones
in their own mini-greenhouse (three windows screwed together and a
fourth clipped on the front) are only just showing signs.

I have pickled things in two-star vinegar, but only if it is to be
consumed very soon afterwards - beetroot, for example.

--

,,,
}»«üüüü(@