Old 23-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Dwayne" writes:

| I am in the USA, with a growing season from the end of May through Sept 20.
| I start the seeds inside about a month before planting them outside.
|
| The one I like better is called Hopi Indian Squash. It gets a really bright
| reddish orange. The taste is sweeter and they get bigger. If you want,
| contact me direct and I will get you an address to write or E-mail.

Interesting. A quick Web scan indicates that is C. argyrosperma,
which I have never heard of being grown in the UK. Because of
our miserably cold and wet summers, all squashes are very marginal
here, and the only ones that are reliable are the hardier forms of
C. pepo.

HOWEVER, it seems that Tennessee Sweet Potato is a C. moschata,
like butternut (a real b*gg*r to grow in the UK), and I have got
two good ones. I shall report when we have eaten one.

When you say that it is sweeter - sweeter than what? I don't like
butternut much, because I find it sickly. Most people in the UK
don't like the amount of sugar that the USA does in their pumpkins
(e.g. USA-style pumpkin pie with lots of molasses is generally
disliked, and pumpkin pie with no sweetening and mustard is more
to many people's taste).

I should be interested in trying C. argyrosperma.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.