Old 23-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Nicole H

keep adding compost... during the fall (if you don't grow anything) put your
leaves and grass clippings in and rotate them into the soil. you'll have
beautiful black soil.
I also mulch with newspaper which the earthworms love. and as you know,
earthworm castings are wonderful for soil.
I never add peat moss..... just add compost and an occasional bag of manure
just cuz it's cheap.
I was in charge of 25 plots 20 ft x 4ft. (garden at a school)

nicole in ca
"~patches~" wrote in message
This is my second season using raised vegetable beds. I started out with
top soil mixed with peat moss and compost. Last winter I covered each bed
with straw then burnt it off in the spring upon the advice of an old
farmer friend. The tomatoes in one of the beds didn't do as well as the
others and the green peppers were poor performers. I'm thinking I need to
fortify the soil but am not sure what to add. I was thinking manure and
possibly compost then thought adding more peat moss wouldn't be a bad
idea. Any ideas on this? When would be the best time to add the
fortifiers - spring or fall?