Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Scott L. Hadley

Default ( OT..ish ) Marrow Harrow

One of the reasons I love this ng, beyond furthering my gardening education,
is the added benefit of never knowing when I will turn up one of these
little treasures. But at risk of appearing naive, I wonder if you can tell
me about this new use (new to me) of the word marrow. Help this silly guy in
the States, please(?) What is it---Best I can come up with is the vegetable
known here as squash.Thanks in advance
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

Having consumed rather too much rum whilst watching the annual
spectacle that is Embassy world darts, I staggered upstairs to bed.
The wife ( for it is she ) had sneakily placed all manner of obstacles
in the way, thus ensuring I didn't sneak into bed at some unearthly
hour and claim that I had, in fact, come to bed just after she dozed
off.

Nett result is that I stumbled on what felt like a pile of washing...
and instinctively reached out my hand to prevent myself taking a
semi-inebriated tumble.

Unfortunately, for me, my hand came to rest on a marrow that I'd
stashed in the bedroom ( we have no heating upstairs...so each bedroom
is graced with a number of these fat, green beasts ).
Even more unfortunately the marrow turned out to be, well, on the
turn... and my hand split the marrow with a curiously satisfying
'splooosh'.

About a second later the light went on - and my wife was entertained
by the spectacle of a bleary-eyed, naked man holding up a hand with
the dripping remains of half a rancid marrow attached to it.

Her words?
'Please tell me this is a nightmare'.

The only reply I could think of was 'Well, there goes another dinner'.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk