Old 23-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Flashman" wrote in message
We have a small (100 gallon) pond with two 5" koi and nine small goldfish.
Hurricane Rita is on its way, and may drop as much as 10" of rain here. We
are worried that the pond may overflow, but it is unlikely. We are
contemplating moving the fish to a 5 gallon pail with floating aquatic
plants. How do you think the fish would do in a bucket like that?

$ They would rapidly suffocate. Also you have too many fish in your small
100 gallon pond. After the storm you may want to either put in a 1000
gallon pond or give some of your fish away. I hope you are aware that koi,
if healthy, can reach 3' long (yes, THREE FEET LONG) and need at least 100
to 200 gallons each to remain healthy. Gold fish reach 12" long and each
needs 20 to 30 gallons alone!

Thanks for any and all help.

Flash (we have plenty of our own water stocked up) Man
in Houston

$ Take care and good luck!
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...