Old 23-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie wrote:
The message
In article ,
Malcolm writes:

As every cook since Mrs Beeton, and probably for years before

her,
has been recommending the adding of kernels to plum jam, it

can't
be that toxic!

To be fair, Isabella said you could add a _few_ kernels.

Her predecessors, and probably her (I should have to check), also
recommended making pickles in untinned copper vessels to produce
a bright green colour.

No, just checked the 1861 edition (I hasten to add, lest any
fellow-bibliophile plan a burglary, that I have only the facsimile),
and on page 32 she says "Copper utensils should never be used in the
kitchen unless tinned, and the utmost care should be taken, not to
let the tin be rubbed off. If by any chance this should occur, have
it replaced before the vessel is again brought into use." She's quite
firm on that page and another that food mustn't, once cooked, be left
in these pans. The 1906 edition (not, of course, by Beeton herself)
recommends wrought steel rather than tinned copper, citing the
danger.

Possibly - but then she didn't write her recipes, and probably

tried
very few of them. Thet were mainly sent in by readers of the

magazine
which bore her name (published by Mr. Beeton).

This is true, though I don't know the proportions.

Many of the published recipes are pure spoof, and I hope the wags

who
sent them in are being roasted down under [1] for all the gallons

of
wasted cream, butter, eggs, etc..

Confirming what Nick says downthread, the recipes I've looked into do
seem to work, though some are distinctly odd (check out the recipe
for mango chutney, which revealed that the great woman not only
couldn't spell "chutney", but also doesn't seem to have known what a
mango was).
[...]

[1] You can read 'down under' how you will - there's not much
difference.

Allegedly.

Glad you put that "allegedly" in, mate! Just because you lot
deservedly regained the Cinders, there's no need to get uppity.

--
Mike.