Old 24-09-2005, 06:28 AM
sherwindu

Default When is squash ready to pick?

I have been growing Musquee De Provence Squash this year here in a Chicago suburb. It really put
out a lot of runners and took over most of my raised bed. Although I may not get much of crop from
the many blossoms appearing this late in
the year, I have two squashes of reasonable size. One got to the size of a basketball,
and the other is still enlarging. It has remained in what I guess is it's maximum size for
several weeks, and is not changing color like the acorn squashes I see in the supermarkets, with
yellow streaking. Question is how to know when to pick these things? Do they have to do some
ripening on the vine for maximum flavor? So far,
they are not being attacked by anything, so I don't mind leaving them on the vine.

Sherwin D.