Old 24-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Ray

Bryan,

I had a tall vanda that had leaned way over due to size and neglect, so I
chopped it off, made a "J" hook about 3 feet tall and suspended the plant
from it:

http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_orchids/V_Fuch's_Indigo.jpg

It gets watered by overhead heavy misting and apparently likes it (Please
excuse the bad photo, it was a quick shot against a painted wall).

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hi Kenni:

I am in Western Canada, Vancouver more specifically. Weather is very much
like Seattle . I have my orchids growing in an enclosed balconey. Humidity
ranges from 45-75%, thanks to a aquarium close by. Temp ranges from 80 to
60 degrees. Lighting is by a North window and supplementd by a 400 watt
Metal Halide.

I am intrigued by the "S" hook type of hanger, do you have a pic or a link
you could forward.

I have seen some Vanda's at our Home Depot and they are grown in small
plastic basket and once the roots get a "grip" transplanted into a wooden
8" basket.

I am a little perplexed by the best way to water Vanda's in a open basket
or just hanging, bring them down and soak in a bucket or spray the roots
with water??

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Bryan: Where are you located? In warm, humid places (like here in South
Florida), vandas generally aren't "potted" at all. We grow them either
bareroot in a basket (wood is prettier initially but rots quickly;
plastic lasts a lot longer) or with no basket at all, just a modified
S-hook type of hanger.

If the plants are already in baskets, I wouldn't remove them, but if not,
I prefer the no-basket hanger [plants take up less room, are easier to
move, and don't grow into one another as much].
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids
"Bryan" wrote in message
Hello all:

I have a couple, of Vanda's arriving in the mail this week and wondering
the best way of potting these orchids. I was planning on using vanda
baskets and pot using a coarse bark/and charcoal. ANy other suggestion
or tips. Should I wire the Vanda's to the basket??