Old 24-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Not even the most alcohol-adultery-and-altitude-sodden Victorian
sahib would have qualified for the epithet "pukka" had he publicly
used the spelling "chetney". The lofty OED doesn't dignify it with a
mention, even to condemn it as a solecism.

Hmm. Well, as the examples that it does give are chatna, chitny,
chutney and chutnee, methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.

The offending recipe -- which I have made, in modestly scaled-down
quantity, and found very good -- calls for 30 large unripe sour
apples with, among other things (but no mangoes), 3/4 lb powdered
ginger and 1/4 lb dried chillies. I don't generally approve of apple
chutney, but after that, I found it no surprise that the Victorians
conquered the entire bloody planet.

In search of an antidote?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.