Old 24-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Bryan

Thanks Ray, great web site as well, I really like the info on fertilizing
and the online calculators.

"Ray" wrote in message
Assuming the supplier is sending decent plants, you'll have lots of roots
to contend with. I suggest that you soak the plants for about 30 minutes
in tepid water. It will be good for the plants and soften the roots a
bit.

I then hold the plant next to the basket in the orientation I am shooting
for, so I can see what roots need to be fed through which gaps in the
slats. Once you have done so, you have a couple of anchoring options. I
use string or fishing line to brace the plant between the "legs" of the
wire basket hanger, but I have also seen plants with the base twist-tied
to the bottom of the basket. I prefer the former as it is removable.

I also avoid mixing bark with the charcoal, as it will tend to decompose.
If I think a plant needs more moisture for the particular growing
conditions, I add medium charcoal to the mix to "densify" it a bit.

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hello all:

I have a couple, of Vanda's arriving in the mail this week and wondering
the best way of potting these orchids. I was planning on using vanda
baskets and pot using a coarse bark/and charcoal. ANy other suggestion or
tips. Should I wire the Vanda's to the basket??