Old 12-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Dwayne

Default Cox's apples

Just dont store them around anything else that you are trying to keep.
Apples put out a gas that speeds the ripening process, and it will effect
other produce as well.

That might very well contribute to your problem. I would try leaving one
unwrapped so the air could get to it. After 6 weeks try it and compare it
to the ones that were wrapped and compare the difference.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , anton
writes

sparky wrote in message ...
Dear All

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to help me with the

following
problem

I have a cox apple tree which crops well I pick the apples when they

are
ripe and wrap them individually and store them in the dry

After about 4 - 6 weeks they become a bit spongy

The ones I buy in the shops now are firm & in perfect condition

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong ?

You're doing nothing wrong. (If you can keep them cool as
well as dry, they might last slightly longer) The ones in the
shops are
stored in special cool stores with controlled levels of
CO2 to prevent ripening.

You can store apples successfully in a fridge for some time. Put them
in some plastic bags with some holes in for ventilation, and store in
the bottom of the fridge. As with normal storage keep checking for mould
etc. on the stored apples.

And of course Bob Flowerdew recommends using old freezers (non-working)
as stores for fruit etc. as they can keep the temp quite stable.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: