Old 24-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Peter James
writes
Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

I built 12 beds this year, I just did it in stages. I bought scaffolding
planks though I know now that I could have probably got the wood cheaper
from other sources.
Treated them with preservative paint.
Stuck two long ones on ground, cut one up to go between and simply
screwed them on with two screws at each end, then hammered in stakes on
two outside long edges to ensure they didn't fall out. Put weed blanket
on ground between beds and covered with shingle.
Filled beds with bags of cheap compost and from compost heap.
Best crops of vegetables I have ever had and so much easier.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph