Old 25-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Peter James

Firstly Peter, I don't think people worry about typos.

What sort of advice are you after? I recently built some raised beds
myself. 4 beds, about 12 feet by 4 feet each. We bought some treated
timber from Jewsons that was 9" x 2" and screwed it together using
standard brackets and screws.

Because of our small garden, I want somewhere to grow a few veg, and I
know what I need, but it's just how to achieve it. As I said, I'm no
carpenter.
We did consider buying scaffold boards and treating them ourselves,

and
we looked round a couple of reclamation yards, but in the end decided
that it was quicker, easier, more environmentally-friendly and more
likely to give us what we needed, to just go to the timber yard.

I did wonder about using non-reclaimable palletts. And to cut them down
to the required height, screw and fix them into the correct sized frame
and clad them with cladding boards. Cheap and cheerful, especially as
my local builder's merchant is giving the palletts away.
They also sawed it as we wanted, so when it arrived I had only to screw
the pieces together. I have done virtually nothing with wood in my
life, so I'd say that there is no need to be worried about being "not
the most skillful of wood workers".

What are you planning to grow?

Just a selection of salad crops, some beans and maybe a few winter veg
for later in the year. Nothing too extensive.