Old 25-09-2005, 01:51 PM
JP in Lon

Default IDing and Pruning a Plum Tree

We have a 5 or so year old plum tree, and this year was the first year of
fruiting(was really poorly when aquired),
and it really went for it this year!!
Was wondering when and how to prune.

I have let it grow without major pruning since (pruned by thinning only).
But this year, it's getting too large and high, and had trouble collecting
all the fruit.

I have seen that pruning should take place in Late Spring, Summer, but, is
there anything specific to be aware of
or do (besides painting with arbrex).

Besides that, anyone know of what it could be:
I think it is a St. Julian A RtStock, but unsure - it's fairly large so I
assume it's a fairly vigorous R.S.
I also don't know what variety it is, because although it was labeled
Victoria, it's not, they are Early fruiting, Blue, Sweet,
(Ripened in Late July/Early August) (I always assumed it was Victoria, and
had to wait 5 years to find out it's not!!! :@) )

Thanks. TTFN

--
J.P. in London.