Old 25-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin wrote:

I have my plants in a poytunnel and I'm wondering whether the closer
atmosphere in there could have tended towards producing moulds. Any
suggestions as to whether I should pick the remaining squashes sooner
rather than later? If they have turned that more mellow colour which
seems to suggest ripeness, is it better to pick them anyway?

Yes. Polytunnels are very likely to make the problem worse - and
so is the weather we have been having (at least here). Put them
somewhere airy, dry and sunny (and frost free) and keep an eye on
them. Well ripened squashes will keep for 6 months, but that is
tricky to achieve in this land of dim gloom and perpetual damp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.