Old 26-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Neil Woodman

Default lighting help needed

I posted this to aquaticplantcentral but I thought I would stick it here
too so you guys could have a look

I'm looking to setup another tank and I'm having some trouble with
lighting. Basically I have comitted to having a tank made, which is
40"x18"x18" - 100x45x45. I want this to be quite close to the ADA type
of tank, so lighting is obviously a concern. I would love to use MH
bulbs over the tank but I'm having trouble finding a suitable model, I
think I would need 2 150w MH bulbs for this tank, I can find these units
but they're incredibly expensive and too long.

I have seen one light unit by Aqua One, which comprises of a single 150w
mh bulb and 2 24w T5 bulbs, would this be suitable? Costs about £250. I
think its meant for a 36" tank but I cant see how much difference an
extra 4" would make.

My other option is to go for 2 single 150w MH Aqua Medic Ocean Lights,
which would cost about £300 all told. Do you think this would be too
much light?

Finally I could go for a 40" T5 lighting pendant which comprises of 4x
39w T5s I think, that would be £229.

Could you guys advise me on the best course of action? I would love to
use MH lights but I'm not sure if I actually can now in retrospect.

Thanks,

Neil