Old 26-09-2005, 02:01 AM
John Savage

"Bernard Arnest" writes:
This is my first year in college. I've been buying a lot of fruit as
it is relatively inexpensive, delicious, healthy, and takes no
preparation time. I've also noticed some gnat-like insects buzzing
around my fruit, for the firs time ever (never saw them at home). I've
never seen them before. But, only around my fruit, and I do recall

They sound like vinegar flies. They are attracted by decaying fruit, but
then stay around for the season. They are harmless. You can try getting
rid of them using the hoover. They usually hang out on the ceiling, or
under a ledge, etc., so hoover them up where ever you see them roosting.
They are probably Drosophila. Do they have big red eyes? ISTM that their
most alluring attractant is ripe banana or rotting apple or plum.

But as I said, they are harmless and don't affect the fresh fruit. I'd
say they probably breed in discarded or decaying peel, so don't keep it
around.