Old 26-09-2005, 05:51 AM
B & J

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
Hey there Gomerella,

I not only vote, I'm an election judge too. I am speaking from first hand
experience.

For many hours we often sit and wait with nothing to do because the
average number of registered voters who actually vote is only around
thirty percent on a good day, even less for the primaries and
non-presidential elections. By far the majority who DO vote are senior
citizens. Never seen teenages or "young adults" (18-21) vote.

What the Japanese and Europeans say is absolutely true: "Americans ARE
lazy and stoopid!!!"

Thats how we have gotten into this mess with having no competent
leadership. It was a long time in coming.

One problem with young people voting is that they are very ill-informed
about issues. Most of them are engaged in too many hormone driven activities
to concern themselves with politics and issues. I started voting when I was
twenty-one and have never failed to vote in over fifty years. Yes, I voted
Republican in the first couple of elections because that was the party of my
parents even though they were dirt-poor farmers. I was not an informed voter
at age twenty-one. I remember my father calling a neighbor a communist
because he was one of the early supporters of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor
groups in our area and wondering about his logic.

After I became a news junkie, I changed my politics because I quickly
learned that Republicans were the party of the rich and mega-rich
corporations, much as they may protest that label. Check out the percentage
of people whom the inheritance tax, which the bushies wish to repeal,
impacts. (BTW, I've too often heard that Republican mantra about rich people
and jobs to ever believe it, and dubya is a prime example of the useless
rich with inherited wealth. The country can't afford any more dubyas!)

I've now moved into a retirement area, and the seniors are no longer
lock-step Republicans. In smaller groups they are doing a lot of grumbling
about all his spending in Iraq with no plan about paying for it, and the
daily death count in Iraq isn't helping. His only ardent supporters are
those who are the born-agains, who want prayer and creative design in
schools, and the anti-abortion groups. It should be an interesting election
next year. You can bet I'll do my best to be around to reduce the number of
Republicans in the congress and the senate and help return the country to
normal politics.

JPS