Old 26-09-2005, 06:54 AM
sherwindu

I said:

Besides the name for a fruit tree that puts out crappy or no fruit is
'ornamental'.

You said:

Ornamental trees that produce fruit: Mexican Fan Palm, California Fan
Palm, Ginko Balboa, California Pepper Tree, Buckeyes, etc., etc.

Besides the name for a fruit tree that puts out crappy or no fruit is
'ornamental'.

Above varies from barely palatable, unpalatable, to poisonous, to no
fruit male Ginko Balboa .

My comment:

As far as I know, there is no official name for a tree that puts out bad fruit
or a fruit tree that fails to produce any fruit.

Your comment:

See above, you were wrong to begin with, you're wrong now.

My comment:

I guess you missed the fact we were talking about FRUIT trees.
Although the trees you mentioned put out some kind of fruit, they
are not considered fruit trees.

I still think you are misusing the word 'ornamental' as it pertains
to fruit trees.

Here is what 'answers.com' describes about fruit trees:

"A fruit tree is a tree bearing fruit — the structures formed by the ripened ovary of a flower
containing one or more seeds. However, because all trees of flowering plants produce
fruit (essentially all trees except tree ferns and gymnosperms), the term in horticultural usage applies to
trees providing fruit as human food."

Here is what that same source says about ornamentals:

"Something that serves as ornamentation, especially a plant grown for its beauty."

Another words, the trees you mentioned are not commonly referred to as fruit trees. Also, commonly known
fruit
trees that do not produce fruit are not called ornamentals. There are many reasons why these common fruit
trees do
not produce fruit, which is usually a seasonal thing, like biennial producers. Some of these trees do not
receive the
proper pollination, and thus produce no fruit. That doesn't make them ornamentals.

You may have the last word, if you feel the need. I'm done with this
thread.

Thanks for the opportunity to set things right.

Bill

Right or wrong, I don't see what all this has to do with the original thread.
Trying to catch me on a technicality doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Sherwin