Old 13-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ricinus

In article ,
PaulK wrote:

"Ian Hayman" wrote in message
I may have missed all the inevitable Ricinis posts. I still have one (the
red version), abeit a bit dead, in the garden. What sort of care should I
take in getting rid of it. Is it still safe to handle, can it be composted
etc.

My understanding is that it is the seed 'skin' that is the source of the
ricin.

There is probably ricin in most parts, but it is extracted from the
body of the seed (not the skin). It will almost certainly break
down pretty rapidly in compost.

These plants are widely grown and have been for years, and there are
few problems. Ignore the panic, but don't be stupid enough to eat
any part of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679