Old 26-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Alan Secker

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:00:18 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , Alan Secker
alan(delete this wrote:
One of my silver birch trees has developed a surface root that has ruined
my 'lawn'. I read that they develop 'later in life'.( I assume it is the
tree's life).

I would like to remove it.

Firstly, wil the rest of the root system be able to compensate?

Unless the tree is already dying, with no problem!

Secondly, can anyone suggest how I might go about it?

Rather closer to the tree than it comes to the surface, dig down and cut
it off with an axe. I can't tell you whether painting the end or not is
better, but DON'T leave a cut end uncovered by earth. And don't do that
in spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I just love getting the response I had hoped for G.
Thanks very much.

Alan