Old 26-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Treedweller

On 24 Sep 2005 14:50:55 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have some advice for pruning this tree (see pictures) ?
It has a bad V shape at the base, so I was considering major surgery by
removing the smaller V branch (on the right), but the larger branch
seems to have some nasty wounds in the bark...so I don't know!

Thanks,
Chris

Here's some basic advice:
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_young.aspx
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare...ng_mature.aspx

As fro your specific tree, it isn't a great situation. I agree it
looks like a questionable maple, and it's clearly got problems. If it
was adjacent to a nice oak, I'd say go for the basal cut (i.e.,
removal). Since it's all you've got, plant another (different species)
and make the best of this one while you have it. Consider reversing
the earlier advice. Shorten the larger side with the damaged bark
(which may represent a failure point at some distant time) and develop
the smaller branch into the main leader.

Avoid "limbing up" and stripping out the interior; low branches
support development of a strong trunk.

good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist