Old 26-09-2005, 04:24 PM
K Barrett

Thanks Kenni!

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Hi, K: Although most of our vandaceous are grown without medium, there

are
few that seem to need a little. I've not grown V. Paki, so can't speak
specifically to that one, but I would not recommend heavy feeding for any
"sick" plant. Humidity, yes, the more the better, and a root stimulant
would not be a bad thing.

We did try an experiment this year with some Rnctm. Sultanah Zenariah.
These looked great when I bought them at Redlands in May 2004, but

promptly
dropped tons of leaves, leaving a lot of ugly bare stem, when I got them
home. What we did this spring was gently peel the stems of the dry brown
leaf remnants, and then wrap them with wet sphagnum that had been soaked

in
a Superthrive solution (with plastic wrap to hold it on). I unwrapped

them
today (about 4 months later) and found new roots high on the bare stems on
about 80% of the "subjects." But it will still be another year before I

can
top them and have decent-looking saleable plants ... Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Kenni, I have a V Paki that I dearly love but have allowed to almost

die.
There are some old viable roots that I think I could get to start new
roots,
but am unsure how to proceed to get them to do that. I'm tempted to

douse
them with rootone but think that plain old high humidity and adequate
feeding should win the day. That usually kick starts any orchid if

they
have a final living spark.

What (if anything) do you do when a vanda almost croaks?

K Barrett