Old 13-01-2003, 06:58 PM
DaveDay34

Default Cox's apples

Dear All

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to help me with the following
problem

I have a cox apple tree which crops well I pick the apples when they are
ripe and wrap them individually and store them in the dry

After about 4 - 6 weeks they become a bit spongy

The ones I buy in the shops now are firm & in perfect condition

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Sparky

It's possible to produce your own oxygen-free/CO2 rich environment where
ripening will be greatly slowed by placing the apples in an airtight container
with some corn or wheat seeds that have been soaked in water for a while. The
seeds start to germinate and use up the oxygen in the container which should
greatly slow the ripening process. I have to admit though that I've never
tried it myself. My parents always just stored apples in boxes in a cool dark
place and threw out any rotting ones from time to time to ensure the whole crop
wasn't lost.

I hope this helps, but it probably won't, and I'm sure someone'll disagree with
me, so I'll just go now.

Dave.