Old 13-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Lawn colour question

"Bob H" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
my back garden lawn has gone into a rather sorry state this last few

months or
so.

When I was mowing it, usually in the same up/down motions everytime, I

found after a
while that the grass was going a very pale colour and growing

horizontally, in
thickish stems. I then decided to rake it regularly throughout the autumn,

in various
directions, and I pulled out a lot of what seems to have been dead grass.

This has
now left bare patches on my lawn, which I have attempted to repair.

Also, I noticed that the grass grows unevenly. That is to say, there are a

lot of
individual clumps of green grass growing, but then there is a lot of paler

areas
where it doesn't grow very well at all.

I have tried proprietry feed and weed powders each summer to get rid of

the weeds,
but I seem to have done more harm than good here.

Any advice as to what would be the best route to get it back in shape

again?

Leave it until spring and drier weather. Then rake up a tilth in the barer
patches, sprinkle grass seed, tread down, and leave for a while.

I've given up trying to kill the weeds on mine its a complete waste of time
and money, unless you have hours of time I would advise just mowing it (not
too short) I and reseed bits now and again. Vaguely green and not too many
dead patches is good enough for me now.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)