Old 27-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Bryan

Thanks Kenni:

I didn't realize "spray the roots until they turn green" great tip.
Humidity probably averages around 60%, probably more that winter is coming
since I will have the window closed all the time, so i think I will
experiment hanging without baskets.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Bryan: Sorry, I don't think I have a pic of the hanger, but it's not
complicated. Regular s-hook at the top, much smaller hook at the bottom,
1/2" or less -- just big enough to hook around a nice fat root. If your
humidity is up around that 75% most of the time, you could do your vandas
this way easily; if it's down around that 45% for much of the time, you
probably should go with pots and coarse medium.

For watering of open baskets or plants bare on hangers: the soak in a
bucket is really great if you only have a couple of plants. Thing is, you
really should change the water between each plant to avoid potential
spread of pests or disease. If spraying, you need to water until all the
roots turn green, all along their lengths. This can take a while, and
make a substantial puddle on your enclosed floor... We run our overhead
sprinklers for at least 12 minutes (and sometimes do a second round).
Kenni

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hi Kenni:

I am in Western Canada, Vancouver more specifically. Weather is very much
like Seattle . I have my orchids growing in an enclosed balconey.
Humidity ranges from 45-75%, thanks to a aquarium close by. Temp ranges
from 80 to 60 degrees. Lighting is by a North window and supplementd by a
400 watt Metal Halide.

I am intrigued by the "S" hook type of hanger, do you have a pic or a
link you could forward.

I have seen some Vanda's at our Home Depot and they are grown in small
plastic basket and once the roots get a "grip" transplanted into a wooden
8" basket.

I am a little perplexed by the best way to water Vanda's in a open
basket or just hanging, bring them down and soak in a bucket or spray the
roots with water??