Old 27-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

Ivies can stand up to all sorts of conditions, so I wouldn't worry
much. Be careful if it's near the house, of course -- you don't

want
it taking a fancy to your woodwork.

Why is it of especial problem to woodwork? (as compared to

stonework,
say?)

Well, it won't do much -- if any -- damage to sound stonework or
brickwork, but I've seen it wiggle its way into the joints and
between the pieces of window-frames and barge-boards. The clinging
roots seem to be hard on paintwork in themselves, as well as being a
nuisance to scrape down for repainting. A good clump may also
restrict air-circulation and help rot to get going.

On a bungalow, it can get between the slates, too: when I stupidly
let this happen, I got it out before the stems could grow thick
enough to loosen the slates, but I was undeservedly lucky.

--
Mike.