Old 27-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Mike Lyle

capstan wrote:
[...]
Please, please post your pickle recipe and MJ's. I bet there are
others would also love to have a go.

My pleasure! What follows is the way I explained it in a family
cookery "book" I did for the kids when they started leaving home to
seek their fortunes. Occasionally you get a layer of mould on top
after storage: rather naughtily, I just scoop this off and forget
about it. I suppose a disc of paper before sealing would be good
idea.

I've investigated the mustard-oil problem, as I believe it may have a
preservative as well as a flavour effect. It seems (though you
mustn't just take my word for it) that pure mustard seed oil sold in
Asian shops has to be marked "For external use only" in Europe and
America because it contains something toxic; but this is destroyed by
heating, so Asian cooks ignore the EC and US warnings, and heat the
oil till it begins to smoke before using it -- this is what MJ said
to do in the original recipe.

I've also found mustard oil diluted with other oils in Turkish shops
in London, without the warning.

Oil-pickled limes

For a 40-fl oz jar. Use a proper heat-proof one.

8-10 limes

Mixture A

1 tablesp ground fenugreek (roasted if poss.)

2 tablesp cayenne pepper

1 level tablesp turmeric

2 tablesp mustard seed, well crushed

3 tablesp salt

Mixture B

15 fl oz vegetable oil (mustard oil said to be best, but EC bans it
as a foodstuff)

8 dried chillies, slit lengthwise to avoid exploding

8 cloves

a stick of cinnamon, broken into short lengths

1 tablesp ground asafoetida (don't omit, however vile the smell)

1 tsp ground black pepper

Warm the jar.

Cut each lime into 6 lengthwise wedges - some, maybe 8*. Remove pips.
Roll in mixture A, pack into jar, not too tightly, and put the jar in
the sink, with a newspaper underneath. (If there's any spice mixture
left, add it to the jar.)

Now get any young children and other animals out of the room and heat
the oil until it's runny and carefully put in the mixture B stuff at
arm's length. (You are wearing an apron, aren't you?) Stir round just
once, then pour through your metal preserving funnel (they're cheap
and should last several lifetimes - sorry I've only got one, kids)
onto the limes. Not quickly, because it takes a while to trickle to
the bottom. The jar rarely bursts at this point, but that's why it's
on a newspaper in the sink.

Make sure all the spices go in, that the oil completely covers the
limes, and that there is only a very small air space. If necessary
heat up a bit more oil and pour it in. A greaseproof paper disc on
top would probably be a good idea. Put the lid on tightly.

When you can handle the jar, look for air bubbles and work them up to
the top by tilting and twisting.

Leave for 2-3 months before opening. Keeps on getting better as time
passes.

It seems to mature a bit quicker if the limes have been softened by
freezing first.

*(The proper Indian version splits each lime into four without
actually severing the wedges, and stuffs mixture A inside.)

--
Mike.