Old 27-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Jim Carlock

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote:
Zone? Climate? Here in Mid-Northern Ontario, Can.
Zone 4b, hot and himid summers with two to three
rainless weeks on occasion, well-protected garden,
lemon balm is a perennial.

Thanks,

I'm in Tampa, FL. The average daily year round temp
is something like 72º F. We get rain when a hurricane
gets close enough. It freezes very rarely here. Might get
two nights a year where the temps might come close to
freezing. August was a dry month. September was dry
as well, even with hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've read some stuff via googling about it being a bushy
perennial and I looked up some definitions of perennial,
some seem to indicate that perennial plants thrive all
year long, while some indicate at least 3 years. Some
definitions indicate it means "coming back over and
over". So the definitions leave me puzzled wondering
if it leaves the Lemon Balm as a "forever plant" or a
dying down to roots and later growing new leaves. :-)

Some plants die down to nothing but roots and then
come back the next year. Are those perennial? Does
Lemon Balm behave in such a manner?

And while some websites indicate Lemon Balm actually
thrives throughout the year... my Lemon Balm appears to
be dead, with only a couple set of tiny green leaves upon
it. Some of the stems have turned woody and I've pulled
those.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup, thanks.