Old 27-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote capstan wrote:

I've investigated the mustard-oil problem, as I believe it may have a
preservative as well as a flavour effect. It seems (though you
mustn't just take my word for it) that pure mustard seed oil sold in
Asian shops has to be marked "For external use only" in Europe and
America because it contains something toxic; but this is destroyed by
heating, so Asian cooks ignore the EC and US warnings, and heat the
oil till it begins to smoke before using it -- this is what MJ said
to do in the original recipe.

You wait until you use it for cooking, make sure all the windows are open as
hot smoking mustard oil equates to Mustard Gas. :-(
We learnt from experience, probably doing the recipe you are talking about
or one of
Mridula Baljekar's.

If you ever see a copy of Mridula's "Complete Indian Cookbook" published by
Colour Library Books on a second-hand bookstall buy it. Arguably better than
MJ's books.
--
Regards
Bob