Old 28-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 9/27/2005 9:51:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Michael,

I'm not sure what sort of lava-stone based mixes you have seen, but I and
most others around here use the red lava rock as our primary soil
ingredient. Once it has been screened, as one must do with most soil mix
ingredients, it has no more fines than anything else. The remaining fines
are a function of the size of screen one uses.

I find red lava rock to be a quite satisfactory soil component, whether used
straight, or in combination with other ingredients.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. USA. Zone 5-ish

Soil composition and soil appearance are critical factors for me. Turface,
bark, haydite, and coarse sand are used with all of my trees with the
exception of my Japanese Pines, which are potted in pure soft Akadama. All soils
are screened prior to potting. As stated, I have only seen the bad side of
using unscreened lava stone.

As for soil appearance, my preference is to use more neutral soil colors for
inclusion in my bonsai photography for books and magazines. This is not at
all related to soil function.

Those of you who use lava stone successfully should stay with what works for
you in your own environments. If it works, don't fix it. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++