Old 28-09-2005, 05:37 AM
DrLith

Sterling wrote:
I posted over on the binaries.pictures.gardens but no response so far...
thought I'd try here too...

I bought this in 1972 as a tiny 89 cent pot plant and I have never seen
another one just like it... I think it is some kind of asparagus but not
any that I can identify.

I have never seen any flower or fruit on it - however 'insignificant'. I
have tried to divide it and nearly killed it.

It has appreciable thorns.

TIA,
Sterling

http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant_cu.jpg

also a baby tree of some kind...?? About 10" tall - shot with a piece of
white paper behind to increase detail. Looks like some kind of pine or
fir??
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/baby_tree.jpg

My thoughts are some sort of bamboo, but (a) it's hard to tell, because
the photo doesn't show the stem well at all; and (b) there are a
gazillion and one types of bamboo out there. Many species have thorns.

I don't think the little tree is a pine, which have needles attached to
the stem in fan-like clusters of 2-5 needles depending on species. Fir
needles are attached individually, and flatish. Spruce needles are
usually square in cross-section (except Norway spruce, which is triangular).