View Single Post
  #21   Report Post  
Old 28-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Michael Persiano

Jim:

Two years ago I almost lost a 50-year old Ulmus davidiana to an 8+ week freeze. I too thought they were hardy. );-) All trees have a limit, and we all need to understand the impact of our regional weather and wintering methods on our trees.

I lost every needle on a Pinus thunbergiana "Mikawa" during the same freeze. Go figure...

Method Used: cold shed
Alternative Method: White co-poly covered bench; cold garage.

The difference is that co-poly warms the mulch bed by day and slowly cools at night. The shed remains quite cold.

Cordially,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:40:01 -0400
Subject: [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

Steven Peterson wrote:
Hi All,
I recently purchased an azalea, a japanese holly, and a chinese elm from nurseries. They are still in their nursery pots. I'm assuming that I shouldn't repot until spring, but what should I do with them until then? Should I plant them in my garden? If so, would it help to make a plastic tent to protect them for the coldest nights? I think I want the holly and azalea to thicken a bit, so planting may be best, but I may the elm I may want to pot in the spring. Will it survive in a shed over the winter?
Thanks,

Steve
Philadelphia, Pa

If azalea grow in peoples' yards in Philly, by all means put them in the ground. You have no worries with the holly and the elm; they're hardy.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++