Old 28-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Michael Persiano

Jim:

Two years ago I almost lost a 50-year old Ulmus davidiana to an 8+ week freeze. I too thought they were hardy. );-) All trees have a limit, and we all need to understand the impact of our regional weather and wintering methods on our trees.

I lost every needle on a Pinus thunbergiana "Mikawa" during the same freeze. Go figure...

Method Used: cold shed
Alternative Method: White co-poly covered bench; cold garage.

The difference is that co-poly warms the mulch bed by day and slowly cools at night. The shed remains quite cold.

Cordially,

Michael