Old 28-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Michel Bourgeois wrote:

Thank you Michael.

Now I have another problem… I want to use 7mm akadama for growing and
Turface is only 3mm! Does it exist bigger turface?

I won’t use sand… I am afraid of the weight, as you know akadama is fragile
and even more when it’s wet and I think the peebles will crush the akadama.

I don´t belive so. You can mix grit and akadama. I think pure akadama is
worse than mixed with grit. Grit can keep the soil structure for longer,
this at least my experience here in Sweden which I think is not far from
the climate in Canada. Remeber your yamadori trees will stay for a long
time in that box or pot. You need a substrate that will stay in shape
for several years. Pure akadama would not be my no 1 choise for this if
you experience tawing and freezing during the winter.

I don´t see a problem mixing 7 mm and 3 mm particles. I think equal
parts of akadama, grit and turface would be your best option, both from
an economical and horticultural point of view.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++