Old 29-09-2005, 05:57 AM
mleblanca

Jim Carlock wrote:
Does anyone know how long lemon balm lasts? If it ever
flowers? When does it seed?

I've had some for about a year. The summer months seem
to take a toll on it. It's planted outdoors. I planted it last
June or there abouts, give or take a month. It doesn't look
too well at the moment, and in fact there's very few leaves
left upon it. I know some plants seem to just disappear
and then re-emerge when the season is right. Is Lemon
Balm one of those plants?

I'm wondering if the cucumbers that were planted next to
it might be suffocating the roots. Does anyone know of a
way to revive Lemon Balm?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup, thanks.

Jim, my experience with Lemon Balm doesn't indicate that it needs any
cold/freeze to germinate. It is native to southern Europe and N.
Africa. It's rather a scraggly plant in its first year and tends to
look like its on its way out! The blooms are easy to miss and appear
in late summer in the leaf axils. Many perennials do not flower the
first year.

LB grows best in full sun; or part shade where it is very hot. Since
your plant was planted out in June, it may not produce flowers the
first season. Can be susceptible to powdery mildew. It likes a pH of
about 7.0. Likes well drained, moist soil. But it seems to be drought
tolerant here. (Nor Cal)

Can be propagated by layering, cuttings in spring or summer, and seed.
Germinates at 70 degrees, better if seeds are not covered. Seeds can be
planted early in spring outside. Plants are very cold hardy, but will
die over winter if in a wet place. I found the plants to be rather
short lived, but reseed readily, as I have not "grown" it for at least
10 years, but every spring I find a plant coming up somewhere in the
garden.

Don't give up on it yet,
Emilie
NorCal