Old 14-01-2003, 11:13 PM
TheGardener

Default ? Recommended flowers for cutting

"Derek Carver" wrote in message
snip
My problem is that although I have a reasonably good gardening experience

have never grown flowers for cutting. My first thoughts are sweet peas,
chrysanthemums and dahlias (things I don't currently grow in the rest of

the
garden) - even though I have no specific knowledge of the best varieties

of
these.

But there must be other things that I haven't thought of, so any

suggestions
you can make would be most welcome. Clearly they should be things that

are not
an enormous amount of trouble otherwise I shall be back where I started.

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey

These are all good cut flowers -

Achillea
Aconitum
Allium (lots of varieties are good for cutting, also great seed heads)
Antirrhinum
Aster
Carthamus tinctoria (dries well)
Crocosmia
Delphiniums
Dianthus
Echinops
Eryngium (dries well)
Gladioli
Liatris
Lilies
Statice limonium (syn. Limonium sinuatum)
Matthiola incana
Peonies
Rudbeckia (annuals, biennials and perennials - all good for cutting)
Scabiosa
Solidago
Solidaster
- plus bulb(corm or tuber) flowers such as Daffodils, Ranunculus, Dutch
Iris, Tulips etc. I would suggest Chrysanths too, but they aren't very
hardy, and would probably be more trouble than you want.

HTH

--
Chrissie
A Flower Arranger's Garden