Old 30-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Mike Lyle

Malcolm wrote:
In article , JP in Lon
writes

[...]
Talking of tomato plants not having long to go,
A while ago in a small north facing bed next to the house, we had

tomato plant appear.

[...]
However, just wondering if someone could suggest how it appeared

out
of no where?

Tomato seeds are capable of passing through the guts of birds (1)

and
still being viable, so I would guess one hitched a lift into your
garden.

(1) And humans! [...]

So much so that the Collins Field Guide to Wild Flowers lists, and
even illustrates, it as "a widespread escape from cultivation". This
kind of thing happens quite often, though the escapes don't tend to
establish viable populations. I got my first peony that way, though I
had to move house before it flowered.

A propos, how long have those Michaelmas daisies been growing beside
the M1?

--
Mike.