Old 30-09-2005, 07:37 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
I would recommend thornless blackberries. A friend gave us some a
couple of years ago, and now they're pretty much established I'm
taking out the 'wild' type that were on the allotment from day

one.
The fruits on the thornless are a much better shape and size, and

don't get sliced to ribbons picking them.

How are they for flavour? Do you know which variety?

They're nice for flavour, don't ask me to wax lyrical, I don't have the
descriptive powers. And no, I don't know what variety, other than the free
variety. :-)) Sorry

But the poster asked "when", not various opinions on "which" !

True, but I posted that because the OP dismissed blackberries, and I
considered it relevant. I would say that now is a good time to plant new
stock because the soil hasn't got cold and soggy yet, but that's the voice
of logic rather than expertise speaking.

And incidentally, does anyone know of a thornless gooseberry? I wouldn't
mind some of those.

Steve