Old 30-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Kay

In article , MarkA MarkA.1w6djy@garden
banter.co.uk writes

Thank you Kay. That's just what I needed to know. I will be using
natives, and constructing an escape route for froglets.
I was thinking of Water f-m-n, also Water Crowfoot and Water Plantain -
any comments?

OK, both, but get the water f-m-n first as it gives more flowers for a
longer period. Water plantain is a bit larger scale - might be a bit big
for you. Fitter et al describe it as medium/tall ie 1 ft to over 2ft. I
haven't got much experience of UK natives - my home ponds are all bigger
than yours, and the ones at the Nature Park much bigger, so we go for
large things.

Mimulus - guttatus? moschatus? Isn't it a wetland plant?

I've got it growing in the middle of a pond. Slugs are fond of it and
they have more difficulty getting to it there.

Aquatic compost - from garden centres?

Yep.

The other thing is not to stick the pond out in the middle of nowhere -
have at least one side (the side with the ramp) hard up against dense
moist vegetation or damp grass that you don't cut at all in the summer.
If you do get frogspawn, then the emerging frogs will need cover and
somewhere to forage.
--
Kay