Old 30-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Kay

In article , Ceri Davies
writes
I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
new ones. Any suggestions?

If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

Blackberries and all the blackberry-raspberry hybrids are pruned in the
late summer/autumn, after you've finished picking all the fruits. Take
out at ground level all the stems that have fruited, then tie in
horizontally at various heights all the long straight non-fruiting
stems. They will produce side branches which will fruit. Meanwhile, new
long straight stems will be produced from the bottom - tie these in
loosely in a bundle vertically to keep them out of the way of the
fruiting branches (for your convenience rather than the plant's)

Someone else will have to explain raspberries as I don't do them.
--
Kay