Old 12-02-2003, 01:55 AM
MLEBLANCA

Default Evergreen tree recomendation

In article ,
(DAN) writes:

The trees need to be evergreen (blocking the view of the
apartments year round), fast growing, single trunk rather than a bush.
I live in the Sacramento area. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Check out Podocarpus, common name Yew PIne.

Emilie
NprCal
north of Sac

Thanks for the suggestion. Is Podocarpus the same a fern pine? I
thought it was a bush rather than a tree? Do you happen to know the
growth rate?

Thanks again

Dan
Podocarpus graciior: Fern Pine: from E. Africa. 20-60 ft tall, 10-20 ft wide.
( sometimes sold as Afrocarpus)
P. macrophyllus: Yew Pine: from China, Japan. 15-50 ' tall, 6-15 'wide.

You probably have always seen Podocarpus pruned to grow as a shrub.
Both species can be grown this way, and both make very nice trees. You
can keep them pretty much at the height and width you wish. Both do well
in large containers or tubs or hedge/screen. Macrophyllus is naturally more
narrow and upright. It is also more heat tolerant and cold hardy.(zone 7)
The variety Maki is smaller and more shrublike, and slower growing.

I have macrophyllus and it is probalby what I would call moderate in
growth rate. Maybe because it likes the heat and I have excellent soil.
(about 80 miles north of Sacto)
Very easy to grow and seems to have no pest problems or diseases.

Emilie
NorCal zone 8