Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Dave Sheehy

Reka ) wrote:
: In article ,
: says...
: Bryan ) wrote:
: : Hi Kenni:
:
: : I am in Western Canada, Vancouver more specifically. Weather is very much
: : like Seattle . I have my orchids growing in an enclosed balconey. Humidity
: : ranges from 45-75%, thanks to a aquarium close by. Temp ranges from 80 to 60
: : degrees. Lighting is by a North window and supplementd by a 400 watt Metal
: : Halide.
:
: Bryan,
:
: I grow Vandas indoors like you and I have a couple of them potted up in
: Aliflor (which is an expanded clay product). The Aliflor holds just the
: right amount of moisture around the roots so they don't rot. It's difficult
: to provide the quantity of moisture they need when mounted in a basket
: indoors. I have a couple of Vandas that are in baskets and they are a lot
: harder to maintain than the potted ones. Root development is significantly
: greater in the potted Vandas versus the ones in baskets.
:
: Dave
:
:
: Dave, can you post pics on ABPO?

I can't. I do have a digital camera so I can easily get an image. I just have
to figure out how to get it somewhere where folks can view it. Does anyone
know how the Nikkon photo upload site works? I'm currently using the Nikkon
SW to upload my pictures to my PC and it can upload from there to the Nikkon
web site. Not having performed the latter I just don't know how well that part
works. Hopefully it doesn't work like Snapfish which requires you to supply
a distribution list of folks you want to share your photos with.

: Are they in actual pots, or in
: something airier? Gee, I hope you are still online, 'cause I am too
: curious to wait until you wake up!!! I need a solution for mine!

They are in regular (as in non-orchid) glazed ceramic pots so they aren't
airy at all. I mixed a small amount of CHC (for moisture retention) in with
the Aliflor but based on my examination of the interior of the mix it's not
needed and I will eliminate it next time around.

Dave