Old 30-09-2005, 09:36 PM
J Jackson

Kay wrote:
: In article , Ceri Davies
: writes
: I've traded in my old plot for a larger one at the same site, so it's
: planning time. I'm thinking of putting out some raspberries (and
: possibly blackberries, though they're common enough round here that I
: may not bother) and since it's nearly the time of year where I'd be
: cutting back an established plant I wonder when I should be planting out
: new ones. Any suggestions?
:
: If container grown, any time. Otherwise, now.

If buying bare rooted plants, then I'd suggest the usual late oct/nov, the
same time as you'd do bare roots soft fruit bushes and fruit trees. If you
are tranplanting runners from exisiting plants then as long as you get
enough soil and the roots aren't going to be too disturbed, then any time
after fruiting.

cheers
Jim

: Blackberries and all the blackberry-raspberry hybrids are pruned in the
: late summer/autumn, after you've finished picking all the fruits. Take
: out at ground level all the stems that have fruited, then tie in
: horizontally at various heights all the long straight non-fruiting
: stems. They will produce side branches which will fruit. Meanwhile, new
: long straight stems will be produced from the bottom - tie these in
: loosely in a bundle vertically to keep them out of the way of the
: fruiting branches (for your convenience rather than the plant's)

: Someone else will have to explain raspberries as I don't do them.
: --
: Kay
: "Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the river"
: