Old 01-10-2005, 12:04 AM
cineman

"Bjan" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi!

I'm totally new to gardening - but I'm wanting to try plant some bulbs to
flower in spring in some containers.

Hi,
You certainly can pick and mix bulb planting in containers, snowdrops around
edge grape hyacinth, daffs especially tete a tete, narcissi especially the
multi flowered ones mix with chinodoxa, plus others i cant recall now, but
most shops sell bulbs in packets. You could have containers flowering from
February to June with the right mix.
Now as to aftercare, as soon as flowering is over start feeding with
phostrogen, half strength first with smaller bulbs, then full strength as
larger bulbs finish flowering, this period is when bulbs are fattening up to
set the flower for the next year, come June July cease feeding and allow to
die back naturally, leave containers somewhere sheltered from midday sun for
summer to allow a dormant period, and bring back for display as soon as
leaves appear.
No reason why this will not last for many years, or at least until container
requires splitting.
Just have fun with the mix of bulbs and be pleasantly surprised.
Sorry about the length of this post, hope I havent sent anyone to sleep.
regards
Cineman

All the packaging says that the bulbs should be planted about 10cm apart -
is that true? I've seen some websites where it says to plant them
'shoulder to shoulder' - if I want loads of flowers in one container, can
I really only plant a few bulbs? I'm thinking of all the typical spring
bulbs, like tulips, daffodils, Iris etc etc.

Also, can I plant some things that flower now, or even evergreen plants in
the same containers or will that stunt the growth of the bulbs? Just to
make the containers look like something all year round?

Can anyone recommend a good website for total newbies like me to get more
'idiot-proof' info like this (so I wont be asking you guys all these idiot
questions!) ?

Wow - lots of questions - Thanks in advance! I'm so excited about
starting this - and I don't want to mess it up!

BJ