Old 01-10-2005, 02:48 PM
dave hutton dave hutton is offline
Registered User

Location: South Coast UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan9
Hi,

I have had one or the John Deere machines and found it really good, very sturdy and did a reasonalbe job of mulching, I did however manage to 'break' the engine but I was using it commercially and they are after all only a B & S 100 hr engine so did pretty well. Should last years in normal domestic use.

The best one I've had was a Toro 600 mulching mower, also collected the grass (not brilliant at it but excellent at mulching) It has a really good B & S 1000hr engine which is still excellent although the handles etc are beginning to get a bit loose, will last a lifetime if well serviced and the engine can be rebored if required. Special 'kickers' undre the deck help the mulcjing action, need to keep the blades sharp for best results. 3 speed box so can be really quick.

No experience of the Honda or Husquavarna one, but I do have a cheap (£250) Mountfield 6hp mulching/collecting mower at the moment which seems really good as well, always starts and quite quick. Think it was afactory return or something as one of the wheel covers was missing as standard!

Dave