Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Mike Lyle

JackD wrote:
[...]
Also, I'd like to grow ivy on the house.
I know it grows into the mortar, but I'd still like the green

covering
all year around.

Jack, I really wouldn't. As I boringly often say here, ivy's a menace
on a house. It shouldn't generally hurt sound mortar, but once it's
established you have to prune it twice a year to keep it out of the
woodwork and away from the roof, either of which it will damage. And,
of course, the more you prune it, the more it grows.

Ivies are very attractive -- I think I had a dozen varieties in my
last garden -- but the place for them is well away from buildings.
Had you considered hydrangea petiolaris?

--
Mike.