Old 01-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Flower Bobdew wrote:

Most of the advice I've seen, so far, has suggested over wintering my
potted bay tree safely indoors - preferably somewhere with a minimum
temperature of 5 degrees.

Just wondering... Many people in here successfully over winter their bay
trees simply leaving them outside - possibly moving the pot to a
slightly more sheltered spot and being vigilant, in terms of
temperatures falling below a certain temperature?

I did that for years, and eventually decided that winters were now
(perhaps temporarily) mild enough to plant it out - and it has had
no problems in Cambridge.

Bay trees are evergreen down to something like -5/-10 Celcius, and
are hardy down to -10/-15 Celcius. Established ones will regrow
from the roots even below that. Anyone who says to keep them above
5 Celcius is talking twaddle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.