Old 01-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Sydey Rumpole

"James Berry" wrote in message
oups.com...

We've just moved into a house with a decent size garden. There is an
extremely well established walnut tree (which has a conservation order
on it), which - as you can imagine - drops a considerable amount of
leaves, twigs, and walnuts.

I bought a 2500w flymo electric vac/blower since I had just so many
leaves to deal with, and this handles the leaves ok but the sheer
quantity of walnuts in the grass just depresses me. Raking is not
particularly effective.

Would a more "industrial" vac be able to suck up the walnuts?

Any other ideas?

best wishes
James

Take my word for it, trees are more trouble than they're worth.
If they're not getting diseases, they're dropping leaves everywhere
come autumn, to say nothing if nuts or whatever. No wonder you're
getting depressed. Who wouldn't be ?

Don't you go worrying about any conservation order. There are plenty
of arboraculturalists around who will remove the tree for you, and
the stump as well, no questions asked. If you've got nosey neighbours
then mention a few weeks beforehand, that you think the tree has canker.
And you've been told it might be a danger, and might have to come down.
Sound really upset when you say it, and they're unlikely to take
matters any further.

If you want my advice you'll concrete over the whole garden and lay
astroturf instead. If you lay a proper grass lawn then you're never
finished feeding it, weeding it, or mowing it, and whatever plants you
try to grow you're simply creating trouble for yourself. The plants
either won't grow properly, or are always getting diseases, or getting
covered in insects. Which then attract birds, who given half the chance
will cover the garden in bird droppings. If you're getting depressed now,
faced with just a few nuts to clear up, just imagine how you're going to
feel when you have to tackle that little lot.

So rather than waste any more money on expensive vaccuum cleaners, why
not bite the bullet right now. Cut down the tree and settle on concrete
and astroturf instead, and all your troubles will be at an end.

Sydney Rumpole