Old 01-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Flower Bobdew

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
Flower Bobdew wrote:

Most of the advice I've seen, so far, has suggested over wintering my
potted bay tree safely indoors - preferably somewhere with a minimum
temperature of 5 degrees.

Just wondering... Many people in here successfully over winter their bay
trees simply leaving them outside - possibly moving the pot to a
slightly more sheltered spot and being vigilant, in terms of
temperatures falling below a certain temperature?

I did that for years, and eventually decided that winters were now
(perhaps temporarily) mild enough to plant it out - and it has had
no problems in Cambridge.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll definitely be keeping it outside
this year, perhaps moving it to the sheltered side of the garden to give
some protection from frost and winter winds. And, to clarify...

Anyone who says to keep them above 5 Celcius is talking twaddle.

Ahem... Amongst a lengthy swathe of advice which actually came with the
tree when I bought it last year, and I quote: "...[leave] outside as
long as it does not freeze. Just remember to put it inside when the
frost comes."

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden