Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Mike Lyle

Flower Bobdew wrote:
Nick Maclaren writes

[...]
Anyone who says to keep them above 5 Celcius is talking twaddle.

Ahem... Amongst a lengthy swathe of advice which actually came with
the tree when I bought it last year, and I quote: "...[leave]

outside
as long as it does not freeze. Just remember to put it inside when

the
frost comes."

I think that may depend on the size of the pot and the youth of the
tree. In severe climates it could be a problem, but I never lost any
seedlings to frost in West Wales; and that was in six-inch pots or
less, up against the north wall of the house but with no other
protection. It won't do them any harm to bring them into a cold
greenhouse or a windowsill for the winter (beware vine weevils,
though), but you should be OK outdoors with a layer of insulation and
good drainage.

I understand your concern, though. Nobody likes losing a tree, and
bays are ridiculously expensive, so there's nothing wrong with being
cautious.

--
Mike.